I think the title speaks for itself. You can guess what happened, but in case you are more curious, here is the rest of the story....
I got a terrible stomach ache on Wednesday and tried everything I could think of to get it to go away. It would come and go in waves for awhile, but then by 5:30 pm it was much worse and not getting any better. Once Bill got home he called Labor and Delivery and the doctor on call recommended some safe over the counter medication I could take. Of course, we didn't have any of the ones he suggested. He also said not to wait too long, because it could be an indication of something worse and to come in if it didn't go away within an hour of taking the medication.
So, we packed up the hospital bag, the kids bags, and headed out the door. We stopped at the store, got the medicine, I took some and we headed to the hospital just in case. (The pain was bad enough that we were both concerned). We parked at the hospital, the kids ate dinner in the car, and waited. Within 45 minutes of taking the medicine the pain was slightly less intense. Then the contractions started! So fun. We started timing them to see if they were regular. They bounced around and never got worse or better, the stomach ache was slowly going away.
I was tired of sitting in the parking lot, so we decided to go for a drive. By this time it was going on 9:30pm. We drove around and then found ourselves close to Grandpa Bill's when the stomach ache came back with a vengeance and the contractions started to get worse, still irregular, but worse. We decided to drop the kids with Grandpa, who was so very understanding and helpful around 10:00 at night. They kids stayed asleep as Bill moved them into the house. We drove to the hospital and checked in.
They got me hooked up to the baby monitor and confirmed that I was actually having contractions and now they were quite regular. The baby was doing fine. They ran blood tests and had me drinking a lot so I could avoid having an IV. The blood tests came back normal, but with a slightly elevated white blood count. My labor wasn't progressing despite the continued contractions every 2 to 3 minutes. This went on for 3 hours. The stomach ache finally just went away!! The contractions didn't. I still wasn't progressing as of 1 am, so they decided they could send me home. At least the stomach ache was gone! Dealing with both forms of pain was no fun. It was determined that whatever had upset my system had also set off the contractions.
We went back to pick up the kids. Poor Oden had woken up, but Grandpa was there and according to Oden he was "silly Grandpa." Quickyn slept so deeply, she had no clue she'd even been moved in and out of the car twice. We went home, the contractions slowly died down and by 5 am were basically gone. What a night. I was so exhausted from dealing with a stomach all day and kids, so I was actually relieved that the little guy wasn't ready to make his debut.
Bill was the only one disappointed. He was ready. Bill is always ready for anything. He was great, even though he was tired too. I love that he sat by me the whole time (he even dragged the more comfortable and heavy rocking chair over to the bedside. It squeaked every time he pushed it, I just laughed), held my hand, changed the TV channel constantly (for some reason the channel changing was a great distraction. I never would have thought of that, it usually drives me crazy), and he was fascinated with the computer and graphs of the baby's movement and heart as well as my contractions. In his strange way, Bill made it comfortable, safe, and even fun at times.
So, that is what happened. I chose the title because of how excited Bill was. Once he started seeing my contractions on the hospital computer he said, "this is it, he's coming." I had reservations about it. He was surprised when it wasn't the real thing because I've never had contractions that lasted for 5 hours and didn't result in a baby in his arms. He was genuinely disappointed and that was precious in its own way.
So, the baby is still safe in my big belly and hopefully will get stronger and stronger. I am hopeful he'll stay in residence there for at least another two weeks. I so want a Halloween baby!
Love to you all,
Bri
No comments:
Post a Comment