Quickyn is notoriously picky about the food she eats. One of the "big" things with her is no condiments or dipping sauces. She eats things very plain, if at all. She wants her burger with just meat and the bun, occasionally cheese is acceptable. Her tortilla is just meat or just rice and cheese. No salsa, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, nothing. She won't eat carrots or celery dipped in ranch dressing. Sometimes she will eat them with peanut butter but VERY rarely. She will eat apples dipped in peanut butter though. In fact, getting her to down some veggies and beans is a feat of olympian size.
Well, I dropped her and Oden off with our good friend Jessica yesterday to be babysat for awhile. When I came to pick them up I noticed they had been snacking on fish crackers, pretzels and carrots. I noticed that Quickyn's plate had no carrots (no surprise there I thought). When I asked her why she didn't have any I found out from Jessica that she did and had eaten them all gone. I was astonished. Turns out she had made a dip called hummus and Quickyn loved it.
For those who don't know what hummus is, and don't worry I didn't either until yesterday, it is garbonzo beans (chickpeas) mashed up with some lemon juice and salt. That's it. It has a light bean flavor and is really quite good.
Well, I thought, I'm going to pick up some garbonzo beans today and make some myself. I was thinking it was just a fluke thing and it was because she was somewhere new and it wouldn't work at our house. Well, I started to make some and Quickyn had her nose in every step of the process! It was all I could do to keep her hands out of the blender. Once I had it in a bowl she took control. She was dipping carrots and fingers into the bowl and calling everyone into the kitchen to "come get some hummus!" When Bill took big scoops with his carrot she got mad and took the bowl away. Apprently she was worried he would eat it all!
I still can't get over it. She was dipping her carrots in beans and eating it.....I still think I'm dreaming.
Thanks Jessica for introducing us to the miracle of hummus and getting my daughter to eat something healthy.
No comments:
Post a Comment